In order to sell hard liquor in the restaurant or bar, you must get liquor license. Few people may think that such process only involves filling an application form online and paying fee, however this is not the complete truth.
In few instances, you will find that no more licenses are left because the county regulators have given out all numbers. Knowing about exact price of liquor license is very difficult because it can vary based on state or county.
Cost of liquor license may vary based on the following:
- Based on whether you want drinking to carry on or off your premises
- Selling on Sundays too as few states charge little extra for this
- The type of establishment that you are
- The type of alcohol that you sell
- Timings of your selling
Few things that you must know prior to apply for license
You must know the following before you start your process of obtaining liquor license Broward County:
- You must understand that there can be no guarantee that licenses will be available as they are very highly regulated because each county has their quota, which may have already exhausted
- There are more restrictions for bars near schools, churches and other establishments.
- Perhaps your site for proposed establishment may not be under the zone
- Businesses or restaurants for BYOB must be licensed as few people think that such businesses do not require liquor licenses. However, their license is of different class.
- Your applications may take 5 to 6 months for processing and hence if you want to open your restaurant next year then must apply for liquor license well in advance.
- The state will do background check from your landlords and many other parties, based on how the lease is arranged. Local business which is nearby has also got right to file objection.
Contact control board of Alcoholic Beverage in your state
First thing that you must do is contact control board of Alcoholic beverage of your state. This will help to figure out following things:
- Which type of license you need and estimated cost as the control board about your liquor business requirements?
- Whether permits are available as counties have only very few licenses and control board can tell you the limitations in the county and availability of licenses.
- You can always obtain license from any other business in case your county has already reached its quota. The control board can tell you if any other business is ready to sell their license.
You must ensure that all the other permits and licenses are ready prior to your applying for liquor license like
- Sales tax permit
- Music license
- Signage permit
- Building permit
You must keep all your papers and documentations in proper order to ensure that the liquor license application will be processed on time. Check whether you paid all your taxes and if not, then state will consider your application favorably.
File your application
While applying for your liquor permits, you must include all the necessary processing fee, lease agreement, background check forms etc. After you send your application, it may take some time to get approved.